Loaded Nachos Low Carb / Low Glycemic

Nachos 5

Would you stay on a diet if you could have nachos? What about pasta?  Well, you can have these things and still lose weight, but there is a trick to it. Today I will focus on Nachos.  As you have been learning, the trick to weight loss is not counting calories, but rather blood sugar control. Much of the time the foods we love (bread, potatoes, pasta, grains and other starches) send our blood sugar sky-rocketing. And sadly, it can be difficult to give up those foods completely. Thankfully, you don’t have to. It’s a matter of learning how to eat such foods.

When it comes to nachos it is important to start with blue corn tortilla chips. You can read about the benefits of blue corn here.

Tortilla chips blue

Additionally, the typical plate of nachos is probably 90% chips with the remaining 10% of ingredients being cheese and other toppings. We need to reverse that. In order to control your blood sugar you simply minimize the number of chips and greatly increase the toppings. This way by eating very few chips you will get full fast and not send your blood sugar soaring by eating a plateful of chips. The best part: being able to enjoy nachos! Yum! Don’t forget, sour cream and quacamole are just fine.

 

 

 

 

Here’s how I do it:

Nachos 2Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and place 6-10 blue corn tortilla chips on the sheet. Add heaping amounts of seasoned, shredded chicken or beef, some beans, plenty of cheese and a few tomatoes on top of each tortilla. Top with cilantro if desired. Bake until cheese is melted.  Serve with plenty of sour cream and guacamole – neither will raise your blood sugar. Be a little cautious if you are using salsa. A great way to enjoy salsa without eating too much, is to blend the salsa with some sour cream.

 

PS: don’t forget to begin your meal with some lemon juice and/or vinegar.

Low Carb / Low Glycemic Nachos

By Linda Hazen Published: September 13, 2013

  • Prep: 10 mins
  • Cook: 5 mins
  • Ready In: 15 mins

No strange ingredients - just a technique that enables everyone to enjoy nachos while working toward their weight loss goals. This is not so much a recipe as a guideline. Feel free to improvise.

Ingredients

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and place 6-10 blue corn tortilla chips on the sheet. Add heaping amounts of chicken or beef, some beans, plenty of cheese and a few tomatoes on top of each tortilla. Top with cilantro if desired. Bake until cheese is melted. Serve with plenty of sour cream and guacamole - neither will raise your blood sugar. Be a little cautious if you are using salsa. A great way to enjoy salsa without eating too much, is to blend the salsa with some sour cream.
Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

© 2018 Six Ingredients or Less