Now here’s a twist on on tradition. No cinnamon and brown sugar here in these baked apples. Rather butter, toasted pecans, sweetened condensed milk and some rum flavoring (you can use real rum if you prefer). A very simple recipe that utilizes your slow cooker rather than oven space.
Core apples using a spoon. Be sure to remove all seeds, but leave a little bit of apple at the bottom to hold the cider.
Place apples in slow cooker, pour apple cider over top and cook on low for 3 1/2- 4 hours or until apples are tender. (If you are in a hurry, bake in oven on 350•F for 45-60 minutes.) Remove and place in serving dish if desired.
Meanwhile, prepare sauce by melting butter. Add pecans to melted butter and roast a few minutes. You will smell the flavor of the pecans roasting. Do this on low heat as to not burn the pecans. Add sweetened condensed milk and rum extract. Stir until warm. (This sauce would be amazing on ice cream.)
Place an apple in a serving dish and top with some warm sauce. Add whipped cream if desired.
Butter Rum Pecan Baked Apples
By March 2, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Now here's a twist on on tradition.Butter, toasted pecans, sweetened condensed milk and some rum flavoring (you can use real rum if you prefer). A very simple recipe that utilizes your slow cooker rather than oven space.
- 4 apples Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Granny Smith
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Core apples (do not peel) and place in slow cooker. Add apple cider. Cook on Low 3 1/2-4 hours or until apples are tender. Test for doneness with the thin blade of a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add pecans and saute until lightly toasted. Add condensed milk and rum extract and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy about 8-10 minutes. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Reheat the sauce when ready to serve with the apples.
- TIP: Sauce is delicious served over ice cream.